Monday, May 3, 2010

May 3rd, 2010

Welcome to the Paul Michael Kane's FACES. This portrait-a-day blog is a follow up to my year long photo challenge from last year.  While the last photo blog had no set theme, this new one will feature nothing but portraits. For the next year, I'll be posting new portraits every day (Monday - Friday) and challenging myself to hone what I consider my weakest skill - shooting the perfect portrait. 

The biggest struggle in putting this new blog together was coming up with the very first portrait. Then I thought what better subject for my first FACES entry than my own mother. 


My mom is what I like to call a creative dynamo - if I am being funny about it, I call her a cross between Martha Stewart and MacGyver! Growing up, I can remember her always looking for something that was ordinary and turning it into something that was extraordinary. There was the time she had us drag up a floating piece of driftwood out of a lake. She turned that into our coffee table. Then there was the Christmas Tree made entirely of pine cones. She is also an amazing cake decorator - having made both mine and my brother's wedding cakes. She's a gifted crafter, painter, sculptor . . . the list goes on. Her vision has helped me in my photographic endeavors to seek out what could be considered ordinary snap shots and turn them into extraordinary images.

2 comments: